The Milano School of Policy, Management, and Environment at The New School is proud to host its first PPIA Public Service Conference: Engaging A New Generation To Restore Trust in Public Service. When the New School opened its doors 100 years ago, its founders had a vision to bring together scholars and citizens. One hundred years on, we invite a new generation of engaged citizenry to question, debate, and discuss the issues of the day. We believe public service that is responsive and aligned with the needs of citizens requires representation of historically marginalized communities.
When: Friday evening, September 27 and Saturday, September 28
Where: The New School campus in Greenwich Village, New York City
How do diverse voices and experiences impact policymaking and drive innovation? We think the answers will inspire you—the next generation of public service professionals.
- Hear from those setting the policy agenda on how policy change happens
- Learn about the practice of policy from policy professionals
- Participate in team-based policy analysis in a workshop for future policymakers
- Understand how to navigate the graduate school application process
Friday, September 27: 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Reception for PPIA Public Service Conference Attendees with Keynote Address by Maya Wiley, Henry Cohen Professor of Urban Policy and Management at the Milano School, Senior Vice President for Social Justice at The New School, NBC News and MSNBC Legal Analyst
Saturday, September 28: 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Keynote by Alexandria McBride ’16, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Oakland, CA
- Panel Discussion: The Practice of Policy
- Lunchtime Networking with Policy Professionals
- Workshop for Future Policymakers
- Presentation on How Applying to Graduate School Works
Who is eligible to apply?
- Rising sophomore undergraduates through recent graduates (up to 1-year post grad) in the New York Metropolitan area — New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut.
- Traditionally underrepresented students are strongly encouraged to apply.
A MetroCard, light breakfast, and lunch will be provided on Saturday.
Deadline: September 12, 2019 at 11:59PM EST
(Click above and register an account or log into an existing account to submit your application)